• Απαντ. 63
  • Δημ.
  • Τελ. απάντηση

Συχνή συμμετοχή στο θέμα

λόγω εορτών

η ενδιαφερουσα ιστορία

του εχθρού :mrgreen:

XENIX -- Microsoft Short-lived Love Affair with Unix

http://www.softpanorama.org/People/Torvalds/Finland_period/xenix_microsoft_shortlived_love_affair_with_unix.shtml

Long before Linus Torvalds was able to write anything useful in C, there was a version of Unix from Microsoft called XENIX that was based on the seventh edition and BSD 4.1 with some interesting enhancements (multiple virtual consoles -- later inherited by Linux, record-locking facilities for database programming, etc) and an amazing level of PC friendliness that Linus will try emulate much later by essentially replicating all major design decisions that Microsoft put into XENIX for PC but using an independent codebase.

what developers at Microsoft ran (Score:5, Informative)

by AdamBa (64128) on Saturday March 23, @11:38AM (#3212973)

When I arrived in early 1990 people were using OS/2 for development. For example the early development work for NT was done on OS/2 and then cross-compiled for NT. Keep in mind that up until September 1990, NT *was* the next version of OS/2 so this made perfect sense...even after the "divorce" with IBM, OS/2 1.2 was still the best development environment.

There was a push to self-host on NT which I recall became feasible in early 1992. Eventually more and more of the group switched over to it. I think the rest of the company probably didn't switch until after the first version of NT shipped in July 1993.

But it is indeed true that the standard email terminal in 1990 was connected to a XENIX machine, and there was a card handed out "how to use vi to edit email" or some such.

Actually I used vi for writing code for a while...someone inside Microsoft had hacked up a version that supported multiple windows...but eventually I switched to slick like most of the NT team. Basically the incremental search in slick was cooler than the . command in vi.

That means that in mid-80th the Microsoft love affair with Unix was company-wide. Microsoft was the major Unix company at this time. In late 80th there were more computers running Microsoft XENIX than all OTHER VERSIONS OF UNIX COMBINED.

θα πέσει φωτιά να με κάψει!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

σχετικό

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2010/12/windows-on-arm-who-cares.html

Συνδέστε για να σχολιάσετε
Κοινοποίηση σε άλλες σελίδες

ως αντίβαρο στο προηγούμενο

μιας και ο αγιασμός των υδάτων θα γίνει σίγουρα σε λίγες μέρες

σχετικό με καλικάντζαρους:mrgreen:

Microsoft, Standards, and Incompatibility: 1991-2010 -- And a Novell Smoking Gun - Updated 2Xs

It's a Microsoft memo from 1991, regarding a suggested attack plan to beat out IBM's OS/2, written by Joseph Krawczak, currently group program manager for Outlook at Microsoft. Here are just three damning sentences from the confidential memo:

Pursue a product development strategy that prevents IBM from claiming Windows compatibility. Prevent Windows applications from running correctly on OS/2....

Reposition OS/2 as impractical and incompatible in the minds of customers.

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20101219121621828

λόγω εορτών

η ενδιαφερουσα ιστορία

του εχθρού :mrgreen:

XENIX -- Microsoft Short-lived Love Affair with Unix

http://www.softpanorama.org/People/Torvalds/Finland_period/xenix_microsoft_shortlived_love_affair_with_unix.shtml

Long before Linus Torvalds was able to write anything useful in C, there was a version of Unix from Microsoft called XENIX that was based on the seventh edition and BSD 4.1 with some interesting enhancements (multiple virtual consoles -- later inherited by Linux, record-locking facilities for database programming, etc) and an amazing level of PC friendliness that Linus will try emulate much later by essentially replicating all major design decisions that Microsoft put into XENIX for PC but using an independent codebase.

-

what developers at Microsoft ran (Score:5, Informative)

by AdamBa (64128) on Saturday March 23, @11:38AM (#3212973)

When I arrived in early 1990 people were using OS/2 for development. For example the early development work for NT was done on OS/2 and then cross-compiled for NT. Keep in mind that up until September 1990, NT *was* the next version of OS/2 so this made perfect sense...even after the "divorce" with IBM, OS/2 1.2 was still the best development environment.

There was a push to self-host on NT which I recall became feasible in early 1992. Eventually more and more of the group switched over to it. I think the rest of the company probably didn't switch until after the first version of NT shipped in July 1993.

But it is indeed true that the standard email terminal in 1990 was connected to a XENIX machine, and there was a card handed out "how to use vi to edit email" :D or some such.

Actually I used vi :D for writing code for a while...someone inside Microsoft had hacked up a version that supported multiple windows...but eventually I switched to slick like most of the NT team. Basically the incremental search in slick was cooler than the . command in vi.

That means that in mid-80th the Microsoft love affair with Unix was company-wide. Microsoft was the major Unix company at this time. In late 80th there were more computers running Microsoft XENIX than all OTHER VERSIONS OF UNIX COMBINED.

θα πέσει φωτιά να με κάψει!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

σχετικό

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2010/12/windows-on-arm-who-cares.html

Δημοσ. (επεξεργασμένο)

GNU/Linux για τη γιαγιά μας !

καλή χρονιά

Linux Ease of Use: Designing The Ultimate Grandmother-Ready Computerhttp://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2010/12/linux_ease_of_use_designing_th.php

I moved mom (86) to Linux as she was over her head with windows updates, anti-virus updates, anti-virus scans, adaware scans and spybot scans. They were driving her nuts and she couldn't figure out what to click or when to click it. The result was of course computer cooties and me having to wipe and reinstall, I have no windows skills and little idea of how to remove stuff the above tools don't deal with.

Now she is on version 11.3 of OpenSuse Linux and KDE for her desktop. I put file widgets up for her download, document and photo directories. A collection of icons for games she likes. Firefox set up with her main sites on the bookmark-toolbar and adblock, noscript, cookiesafe extensions. I did set the extensions up to allow her main sites and she has a printed note on allowing new sites in temporary mode.

I considered going one more step and backing up her critical files using rsnapshot but she changes so little it wasn't going to accomplish much more that I do now by sucking them off to an external drive once a month or so.

I figure I'll update her to version 11.4 in May or June once it has been out for a while and has the first batch of patches applied.

Lots of recent bad press about Suse due to Novell buying them, messing up a lot of stuff, playing games with Microsoft and now dumping them to another company that also looks to be in bed with Microsoft. That aside I have been a Suse user since way before that mess started and hope to still be with OpenSuse after it pulls away a bit from the shenanigans. For me it is still the easiest Linux OS to support due to the Yast tool that makes over the phone support so simple. Tough cases can still be done via SSH or even VNC but they are rare.

Posted by: Stan Miller | December 31, 2010 5:10 PM

Επεξ/σία από gtroza

• 2 μήνες μετά...

Interview with Con Zymari – CEO Cybersource

This interview reminds me a little of those sci-fi stories that start with the

big bang, and end 40 billion years in the future. Con Zymaris has the

depth of experience to pull this off in the software space, offering some very

astute insights and provacative food for though along the way.

* The early days of computing as the foundations for open source

* Open source growing up alongside proprietary technology

* Circumstances that led to the dominance of Linux among open OSs

* The economic motivation for open source as the result of technological progress

* On the rise of commercial entities as open source guardians

* The effects of OEM momentum behind particular open source technologies

* Low-cost, lightweight computing as an upcoming nexus of power

* Keeping customers for the long haul without being able to lock them in

συνέντευξη του Κώστα Ζυμάρη

πριν 2 χρόνια

αλλά εφ' όλης της ύλης και με ενδιαφέρουσες πληροφορίες και απόψεις

• 3 εβδομάδες αργότερα...
  • 2 εβδομάδες αργότερα...
  • 4 εβδομάδες αργότερα...
  • 5 μήνες μετά...

Καλησπέρα, ψάχνω για κάποιο περιοδικό που να είναι σε creative common ή άλλη άδεια χρήσης που θα μου δίνει το δικαίωμα να χρησιμοποιήσω το υλικό του. Για να γίνω ποιο κατανοητός, φτιάχνω για πτυχιακή ένα cms για ηλεκτρονικές εφημερίδες/περιοδικά και ψάχνω για content ώστε να φτιάξω ένα demo. Φυσικά θα αναφέρω την προέλευση του content. Να διευκρινίσω σε περιπτώσει που δεν είναι ξεκάθαρο, με ενδιαφέρει να έχει δομή τευχών.

• 5 μήνες μετά...

http://www.linux-mag.com/licensing

http://www.linuxforu.com/

κάτι από αυτά σου κάνει?

είναι και άλλο ένα που είχα δει παλιά που ήταν μουσικής τεχνολογίας αλλά δεν το θυμάμαι πως το λένε ρε γ@μώτο

http://www.linux-mag.com/licensing

http://www.linuxforu.com/

κάτι από αυτά σου κάνει?

είναι και άλλο ένα που είχα δει παλιά που ήταν μουσικής τεχνολογίας αλλά δεν το θυμάμαι πως το λένε ρε γ@μώτο

Πραγματικά μετά από 6 μήνες, έχω βρει... D---(]

• 7 χρόνια αργότερα...

Δημιουργήστε ένα λογαριασμό ή συνδεθείτε για να σχολιάσετε

Πρέπει να είστε μέλος για να αφήσετε σχόλιο

Δημιουργία λογαριασμού

Εγγραφείτε με νέο λογαριασμό στην κοινότητα μας. Είναι πανεύκολο!

Δημιουργία νέου λογαριασμού

Σύνδεση

Έχετε ήδη λογαριασμό; Συνδεθείτε εδώ.

Συνδεθείτε τώρα

• Δημιουργία νέου...