Προς το περιεχόμενο

Gears of War 2

privateer

Προτεινόμενες αναρτήσεις

• Απαντ. 602
  • Δημ.
  • Τελ. απάντηση

There was only one close call.

Kudo Tsunoda, the new general manager for Microsoftʼs “Gears of War” development efforts, got through most of his dinner with me and three other gaming reporters last night with only one “can-we-say-this?” look shot over to the public relations person staffing our meal.

It came after I asked him to define what “Gears of War” is to him, and how it differs from “Halo.” He threw out words like “co-op” and “tactical” and then he said “squad,” which prompted me to ask about the number of players that could team up in a “Gears of War 2″ mission. He looked for help.

No.

Not something he can talk about at the moment.

But there was other “Gears” stuff to discuss…

Tsunoda, recently of the EA Chicago studio behind the “Fight Night” series and last “Def Jam” fighting game, now works in Microsoft as the chief point of on contact with Cliff Bleszinski and the team making the 360-exclusive “Gears 2″ at Epic Games.

Over dinner, in which we chatted about a number of Xbox 360 games, he discouraged me from thinking about “Gears of War 2″ in story terms. I was asking him about how it moves the plot forward and if I should be thinking of it as an “Empire Strikes Back” or something. He said: “Itʼs not about when it is or saying that itʼs a trilogy but about what weʼre doing with the gameplay and how weʼre making it more fun.”

Gameplay improvements: what jumps out to Tsunoda in the new game are 1) the destructible cover that wonʼt let players take refuge behind any old crate and 2) levels that have about 100 characters and bosses engaged in large-scale battles. He said that the first game hinted at a larger war but never brought the player to it. This game will.

His 100-characters reference reminded me of the tech demos demonstrated by Epic at the Game Developers Conference in February. Epic developers had told me that the demos hinted at content and gameplay in “Gears of War 2.” So what about the tech demo featuring a cube of meat that got chunks shot off of it, one bloody bit at a time? To answer, Tsunoda wound up pretending he was holding an enemy for cover, as a shield, and explained how that enemy might, letʼs say, deteriorate under fire.

Tsunoda told me had played the first “Gears” a lot before taking his job at Microsoft Games Studios (he wouldnʼt confess to playing the PC version, saying heʼs a console gamer). He volunteered that the gameplay of the first installment could feel repetitive, an issue he says is addressed in the new title.

We chatted about online play a little, though Microsoft is focusing on showcasing the single-player part of the game this week. He said the “Gears” sequel will have a better online system. I asked about clans, and he wouldnʼt use the word back at me, but said that parties of gamers would have an easier time sticking together from game to game.

Other “Gears” improvements promised over dinner include better voice acting and directing, the ability to tell characters apart by voice (Tsunoda thought the characters in the first game sounded too similar to each other). He also said gamers can expect a more satisfying story, one that wonʼt be compromised by content being clipped from the game as had happened with the first “Gears.”

The details sounded solid. Iʼll report more after I, hopefully, get a chance to play it at Microsoftʼs gaming event in San Francisco today.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/05/13/gears-of-war-2-details-and-teases/

Συνδέστε για να σχολιάσετε
Κοινοποίηση σε άλλες σελίδες

Microsoft and Epic dropped a quartet of Gears of War 2 screenshots today, the first, and taken from the roller coaster-like sequence featured in recent campaign videos ("Act One, Chapter Three: 'Assault,'" to be exact). We also dug through the accompanying fact sheet (actually, credit X3F for the dirty work) and uncovered this single, tasty morsel: "new weapon-specific executions." No specific details yet -- but the nasty fantasies dancing in your head right now are probably close enough

2:45pm SHANE: Cliffy B takes the stage to show off Gears of War 2! Man, how many subwoofers are in this room? Is this running at 60 frames per second? Holy shit, look at all that juice!

GARNETT: So, here's the scoop; that little section of singleplayer you've seen, Cliffy's playing the whole damn thing for us. Starts out on rig 314, that's one of these derrick things that burrow your team into the planet's core to fight the locust on their own turf. There's a catch (natch) that these things have to be positioned in specific places before they start drilling.

We're on the ride out to one such location now. Reminds me a lot of the train sequence at the end of the first game. Started off with just some bombardment and flying enemies but it's all gone to hell now with locust coming from every direction. They even hijacked one one of the other rigs and are trying to run us off the road. One thing that really stands out to me about the gunfire is this excellent tracer effect; it's particularly noticeable on the machine guns. The tracers blur and smear as they spray out of the gun. Helps a ton in being able to see the spread of your fire. Oh, and bloody hell, this ride has now seen us face pretty much every big bad ass from the original and it's just one level. Brumak, check, Corpser, check, Holy hell.

SHANE: Wow, Epic has really optimized the hell out of its engine for Gears 2. The character models sport a serious amount of detail, the trees look insanely good, and the overall scope of this level is massive. That said, I wish they hadn't shown an on-rails stage. Not a lot of variety or freedom of choice here, but hell, it's a nice showpiece.

GARNETT: Ok, so just asked Cliff how they're going to handle build up since they dropped so much already by this point -- level 2. He says one, they'll have to some MUCH bigger enemies. Ok, duh, I guess, but he then tells me that in the next level they introduce a new small locust who's big task is to set roadside improvised explosive devices to knock out the advance of the derricks -- ripped from Iraq?

SHANE: OK, I just asked Cliffy whether or not this will run at 60 fps. No dice, but he promises that it will stay above 30 throughout. Also, Cliff had to be a bit of a dick by repeating my question as, "When is Gears 2 coming out for the PS3?" Funny, real funny.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8733847&publicUserId=1002415

Αρχειοθετημένο

Αυτό το θέμα έχει αρχειοθετηθεί και είναι κλειστό για περαιτέρω απαντήσεις.

• Δημιουργία νέου...